Скачать Computerization and Controversy, Second Edition: Value Conflicts and Social Choices бесплатно
Computerization and Controversy, Second Edition: Value Conflicts and Social Choices
Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann | ISBN: 0124150403 | edition 1991 | PDF | 961 pages | 53,15 mb
The Second Edition of Computerization and Controversy: Value Conflicts and Social Choices is a collection of 78 articles that examine the social aspects of computerization from a variety of perspectives, many presenting important viewpoints not often discussed in the conventional literature. A number of paired articles comprise thought-provoking head-on debate. Fields represented include computer science, information systems, management, journalism, psychology, law, library science, and sociology.
This volume introduces some of the major controversies surrounding the computerization of society and helps readers recognize the social processes that drive and shape computerization.
Division into eight provocatively titled sections facilitates course planning for classroom or seminar use. A lead article for each section frames the major controversies, locates the selections within the debates, and points to other relevant literature.
* A fully revised and updated version of the first anthological treatment of the subject
* Organized to facilitate course planning for classroom or seminar use
* Provides coverage of the influence of computers on a wide variety of fields including computer science, information systems, management, journalism, psychology, law, library science, and sociology
* Includes discussion of the following issues related to computerization:
* Does computerization demonstrably improve the productivity of organizations?
* Should computer systems be designed to empower workers?
* Does electronic mail facilitate the formation of new communities, or does it undermine intimate interaction?
* Is computerization likely to reduce privacy and personal freedom?